With Fourth of July coming up, I wanted to do a patriotic cake. This is the result. Below are instructions for putting it together.
What you need to bake:
Red Velvet Cake- 1 (8 inch) and 1 (6 inch) tier
White Cake- 1 (8 inch) tier
Blue Velvet Cake- 1 (8 inch) tier. For a Blue Velvet Cake Recipe, click here.
1. You will torte (basically cut in half lengthwise) all of these cakes EXCEPT THE VELVET BLUE CAKE, so 3 tiers total. For detailed instructions on how to torte and level cakes, see Crumb Coat/Fondant Video Tutorial Part 1.
2. You will need to cut out a 4 inch circle as a guide, place it on one of the 6 inch red velvet cake layers, and cut the cake down to a 4 inch circle
3. You will follow step #2 for 1 of the white cake layers.
4. You will follow step #2 for the velvet blue cake tier (remember that we did not torte this tier) except instead of pulling away the outer ring, you will pull out the middle circle so it is a hollow ring.
5. At this point you should have: 2 (8 inch) and 1 (4 inch) red velvet cake layers, 1 (8 inch) and 1 (4 inch) white cake layer, and 1 hollow (8 inch) blue velvet cake layer that is twice the thickness of the other layers.
6. Place an 8 inch red velvet layer on your plate. Frost the top of the layer, place an 8 inch white cake layer on top, frost that, place a red velvet layer on top of that and frost the top.
9. Crumb coat the cake. For detailed directions on crumb coating a cake, see the Crumb Coat/Fondant Video Tutorial Part 2. Then Frost the cake.
Extra tips: chilling the layers will help prevent messy crumbs and hold the whole thing together better. You might also want to coat the inside of the hollowed out blue velvet circle layer to better hold the inner stripe layers to the outer blue cake after its cut.