Almond Cake (Gluten Free and Sugar Free)
[I have had many requests for some sugar free recipes. I like this one because it doesn’t use artificial sweeteners. In small quantities such sweeteners seem okay, but with the amount you need to do a cake, the chemical taste doesn’t appeal to me. Raquel of www.cafenilson.com contributed this recipe. It uses Agave (honey also works) to sweeten it. Enjoy!]
- 1 3/4 cup toasted almonds, coarsely crushed (or 1 3/4 cup ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or 1/2 cup honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs at room temperature, separated
- Preheat oven at 375F. Prepare pan by greasing bottom, lining with parchment paper and then greasing parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, agave, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract. Add almond flour and continue beating on low until well combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until white, very foamy and double in volume, but not stiff enough to form peaks (about 1 – 2 minutes). Otherwise, this will cause the cake to shrink in the middle.
- Using rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into almond mixture carefully until just combined. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean, about 25 – 30 minutes (mine took 30 minutes!). Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
This cake can be served drizzled with the agave or nectar and topped with sliced almonds.